18 December 2006

ocean.

i saw the ocean today for the first time since i've been home. it was amazing as usual. the water reflecting off of it, the glasseyness of it between gaviota and santa barbara was beautiful. it was something great to see after my wake-up call this morning.

last night i drove up to san luis obispo to surprise natalie and go to her 22nd birthday party. it was a total blast, and great to see all of my friends again. then i drove to laura's and stayed the night with her. we slept on the couches in the living room cause her room is a mess from her recent trip to costa rica, so at 6:30 her alarm went off and woke me up. that wasn't a big deal, i knew it would be coming (she did have to work today afterall), and i fell right back asleep. what i didn't expect was the phone call i recieved at 6:47 from my mom.

i knew that it wasn't going to be good, mostly cause she'd never call me that early if it was. and the worst that i expected it to be was what it was. my grandpa died this morning. we knew that he was dying, but none of us knew that it would happen this quickly. on friday my mom told me how bad it was, and now he's gone. it's crazy to think about. it wasn't all that long ago, around thanksgiving, that we found out he was sick.

i'm not sure what to do with myself. my dad had gone out to help my grandma yesterday, so he was there when it happened, and for that i'm thankful. my mom has talked to him a number of times this morning and he told us to not go out there, and that's really all i want to do. even if once i'm there i don't have anything to do, i feel it'd be better than being at home and knowing that things aren't the same, but sort of going on like it is.

right now they're working out the details of the funeral, my dad, uncle, aunt, and grandma that is. from what i know they are going to have something down in hemet, and then have him cremated and bring him up to cayucos. funny thing. before thanksgiving my grandpa mentioned to my dad that he'd like to go up to morro bay (which is right next to cayucos) after christmas. it's something that we did last year, and when i was younger we used to vacation up there in the summer. now he will be going up there, but not in the way any of us expected. God is good.

all i can be is thankful.
- corrie

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very sorry for your loss. It sounds like he went quick enough though that he never had to really suffer or anything which is good. My prayers are with you and your family.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home