05 May 2007

worst.

this weekend i had one of the worst track meets of my life. it was christian nationals, and hammer was on friday. i was feeling good and throwing great leading up to it.

my first throw in prelims comes and it's a great throw but i foul it (i step out the front). i shake it off, and the second throw comes, and it's another great throw that i foul in the same way. i shook that one off the best that i could, but i couldn't get out of my head that if i didn't get a 40 meter throw in on my last one that i wouldn't make it to finals and my day would be over. my thrid throw comes around, and it doesn't feel in any way as good as the previous two but i was trying to be conservative and get it in. it was in, but i wasn't. i was done. that was basically the end of my throwing career.

as soon as i walked away from the ring i ripped off my glove and threw it. about 20 feet out of the ring (on my way to get the hammer) i was already crying. if i hadn't had to take the hammer back to christina then i would have kept walking and gone around to the side of a building so i didn't have to see anyone. but i had to take the hammer back, so i gave it to christina, grabbed my stuff, threw it with my other stuff and walked away to the trees to cry.

after spending some time over there i came back and had trouble facing people like coach, and a couple of others. most people who saw me had never seen my cry so it was kind of a big deal. as i began to recover i had to relive everything all over again when people asked me how i threw.

it was easily the worst throwing day of my entire career (8 seasons worth), and one of the hardest days i've had in a long time. while it was hard, i think that it has been a good thing (in some way that i'm sure i don't totally understand yet), and also that it's good to have those days every once in a while to make other days that much better.

i'm considering throwing next week in a last chance meet, but i haven't totally decided yet. at this point i'm totally on the fence cause i can't see myself throwing again, but i don't want to end on the note that i did. we'll see if some redemption is in order.

better days to come... right?
- corrie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home