19 June 2008

peru 1.

So, I am officially in Peru!!! It is so crazy but so great all at the same time! I'll do a quick run through of our trip so far, because I'm kinda tired and we have an early morning tomorrow.

We arrived yesterday around 3pm Peru time which was 1pm California time. Megan met us at the airport and we grabbed a taxi to her place in the Miraflores district of Lima. The first thing that really stood out about Lima was the traffic. It is ridiculous down here. There are all these little cars racing around honking their horns and people running out in front of them crossing the street. I think the sounds that will stick with me most from this trip is the noise of the city. It's literally all car engines, horns, and brakes. On the drive I took a number of videos that I hope to compile together when I'm back in the States. I hope it turns out well. So once at the apartment (on the 4th floor of a nice building) we basically got settled and hung out a bit before hitting the city. For dinner we walked down to the ocean to this mall that is cut out of the side of the cliffs. It's super touristy but its okay because we are tourists and already stand out. There we at this roasted chicken with french fries. In case you didn't know, potatoes and other root vegetables are a staple of Peruvian food so at almost every meal you eat french fries or fried sweet potatoes or this similar veggie called yuca. After dinner and enjoying the area we walked back to Megan's by way of the grocery store. The grocery store is much like the roads - nuts! Which reminds me that when you walk in Lima you do not have the right of way. You basically have to wait until the cars have gone before you cross or they honk at you and almost run you over. It was nerve wracking at first, but oddly enough I'm getting more used to it and somewhat bold. Once back at Meg's we were basically dead so we went to bed.

Today was a really good day, our first full day here. We slept in until around 11am and got ready and headed down to Megan's school, where she had been teaching that morning. We arrived in time for the awards ceremony for all the grades. That may seem like a lot but it's much smaller than you'd think. It did however take about 2 and a half hours. I must admit I got bored but at the very end some teachers got pies in the face and that was quite amusing. After that we all walked over to a place called Pasqualles (I think) and had some really yummy sandwiches. Nat and I got this one called Lomo Pasqualle, which is beef and avocado, with grilled onions and peppers. So good. With only a little time we decided to go to the Inca Market, which is basically a really touristy market. To get there we took a bus. The buses here are nothing like what I am used to. They're basically large vans. When we got on there were hardly any seats left so I ended up on this bench type seat right behind the drive sitting backwards. I thought I was going to fall on my face but luckily I didn't and the ride wasn't far. The market itself was pretty cool but I didn't get anything yet. There is so much that it's really overwhelming. I did start to get ideas for what I'm going to buy for people, and I really love to do that so it'll be fun when I actually start buying. Some of it I may wait on until we are in Cuzco or after we come back. So after the market Megan had to go back to school for the seniors graduation, and Cathy wasn't feeling so hot (she's Megan's friend who got here a week before us and had been sick the 3 days before we got here), so Nat, Tim and I took off for the ocean again. This time we went a different way and walked along the coast for a while and got some great pictures. We came back another way that we knew and hit the same grocery again for some ground coffee for in the morning. Then we came back to Megan's where we've spent the last 2 hours hanging out and talking.

Now it's bed time and while this was longer than I intended it should give you a good idea of our trip so far. We'll still be in Lima for a few days so you'll probably be getting some more updates soon. Wish I could put some of my pictures up, but you'll just have to wait for those! Keep thinking of us and I'll write more soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home