21 June 2008

peru 2.

Another couple of days down in Peru and it's still wonderful! We've been having a great time continuing to explore Lima, and meeting all kinds of people.

Yesterday we helped out at Megan's school in the morning. It was the last day of school and so they had a field day and we helped to run the relay race. My favorite part of the time there was how well everyone from the school got along. For the field day there were 8 teams and on each of the teams there was at least one person from each grade. It was great seeing the seniors playing with the kindergarteners and loving on each other. The rest of the day we mostly hung out and chilled around town and at the apartment. We tried to go to the ruins near Megan's but by the time we got there they were already closed.

Today was nice initially because we got to sleep in. After that it was fun because two of Megan's students from this year put on a tea party and a show for all of us. They had it all planned for Megan and were kind enough to let us attend. After that we headed to Downtown and saw a cool plaza with a government building. While there we met a couple of guys from Israel who were brothers, and we talked with them for a few minutes. It was interesting because one of them has been traveling around South America and the other is in Lima on business and they were able to meet up with each other. Next we walked down to an old Franciscan church that is now a museum and went on a tour. During that tour we got to go down in the oldest Catacombs in Lima. It was pretty crazy. We saw all kinds of bones and skulls and such. Certainly something that I've never done before! After the tour we hung out for a bit before heading back to Megan's to get ready and go to a goodbye party for a couple of people who are leaving Peru for good to go back to the States. We were at this gathering for a while, and had a good time, but eventually took off for the Barranca district, which is the bohemian type district of Lima. Down there we walked around and ate dinner at this place called "Javier," I think. For dinner I tried something that I'd wanted to have since I saw the Anthony Bourdain, No Reservations: Peru - cebiche. It is basically fish (raw I believe) marinated with citrus juice (mostly lime I think). So anyway I got shrimp cebiche and it was soooooo good! I mean it was seriously good. Probably my favorite dish so far on the trip. I really want to try it with other kinds of fish now. Megan says that she knows a good place so I'll be taking her up on that for sure before we leave. After dinner we walked down towards the ocean cliffs and ended up taking some fun pictures with a slow lens function that I had never done before and I really ended up having a blast and getting some great pictures with it. I really wish that I could put them all up now, but I just can't. Then we did some walking and shopping (I got some earrings) and headed back to the apartment.

That's again all for now. I really don't know when I'm going to get to write again because we leave for Cuzco early monday morning, and I have no idea when, if at all, I'll be on a computer down there. I am getting really excited about it though!
Again, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Adios!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home