05 October 2007

october sun.

I don't know if you've ever experinced this but some days during fall the sun seems huge and is a beautiful orange and fills up the whole sky, or so it feels. It gets this exact way as it is setting and when you drive down Telephone Rd. in Ventura as it sets you can't see where you're going because it's so bright. It's pretty much amazing and I think it was like that today. I say I think because by the time we left work it was below the hills and we couldn't see it, but I'm sure if I'd been driving down Telephone Rd around 6 I might have run a red light or something.

Overall today was a good day. It was a cooler day than we had been experienced lately. Somehow when I got up this morning, before I'd even talked to anyone or looked outside, I could tell that it was going to be cooler. I was looking forward to it. What I wasn't looking forward to and ended up happening was the wind blowing like crazy. It was crazy for a number of reasons. The first is that it was blowing out of the west, which is not typical for this time of year. It usually blows out of the east (i.e. east winds, or santa ana's). The second was the speed at which it was blowing. I heard that it was gusting up to 40mph at times. I ended up being cold most of the day and my face now feels a little wind burned. Oh, also, what made it worse was the fact that we were outside at the farm all day and had dirt, straw, and whatever other crap was around blowing all over us. Some of the cardboard trash cans got blown into the parking lot.

The best part of the day (aside from getting to go home, and in the very least be in my truck) was lunch. My mom wanted San Sai, but I hadn't eaten there before and was unsure about trying something new. I'm like that with different places than the average, but once I eat there I generally love it. That was the case today. I got some wonderful California Rolls, and chicken with an oriental salad and sticky rice. So good. I'm looking forward to eating there again soon. And I'm sure it will be soon because there really isn't that much out there (though more than there used to be), and we have one here in a food court we eat in often. Actually the food court that it's in is pretty much the best overall in town. It's got Sharky's Mexican Grill, San Sai, Urban Cafe, Marble Slab Creamery, Starbucks, and Red Brick Pizza. The one black mark on it's list is that it has Tacone, blech. Sure they have sweet potato fries, and their quesadillas aren't bad but they're not that good either.

My "straight out of a movie moment" today occured when I was fixing this stool that we have. It's an older stool and the owner's wife (Sara Jane) found it in a container and brought it for us to use. The problem with it is that all the pieces have decided that they don't want to stay in place and after being sat on for a while they start to come apart. Last weekend I did some repairs on it with a hammer getting it all back in place. It lasted until today when one of the pegs actually fell out completely. So after hammering the legs back together I notice that the seat could use a couple of whacks to be more secure. I hit the first spot a couple of times and then it bounces off where I hit and part of the seat breaks off. Clean off. My jaw hit the floor. I couldn't believe what had just happened and Sara Jane was still around, and coming back over. Without knowing what to do I threw the broken piece behind a set of drawers and sat down on the stool to cover it up. I don't think that she notices (she didn't say anything), but I felt bad, and I'm sure that tomorrow she'll ask what happened. So awkward and while maybe not funny here I'm sure that it would have been funny at some point in a movie that is different from my life.

More to come in the next couple of days. The weekend is now here, and that's when all the real crazy people come out in mass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home